Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Ending

My cousin Beth got married in 1981 when I was in fifth grade. I was a flower girl in the wedding. At the time I was really annoyed because the wedding was the same weekend as my class trip to Washington DC and that meant I wasn't going to be able to go with all my friends. In the end, it turned out okay. I had a pretty good time at the wedding. Her new husband Ed was a bonus. I liked him right away. We used to play Intellivision together. He always won at baseball but I always won at hockey. We got along well. We both liked a good discussion and we both had a need to be right. Fortunately we usually agreed so this was not a problem. (At least not for us. I can't speak for everybody who was wrong.) I learned early on that he liked meringue-a lot. Once I was old enough to do my own baking I started making meringues in the shape of mushrooms. It got to be a tradition that I'd make them every Christmas. I think I've been making them for 20 years. I'm going to make them one more time, but instead of waiting until Christmas I'm going to make them this week so that I can take them to the funeral.

Ed had been fighting pancreatic cancer for the last 10 weeks. He really loved his life and he fought for every last moment but on Tuesday morning the battle ended. It was a privilege to know him and to call him my friend. I will miss him very much. I have trouble grasping the situation and I cannot imagine how Beth feels. She has been amazing through it all. My thoughts are with her now.

Goodbye Ed. We will miss you. Rest in peace.

4 comments:

Lady Epiphany said...

My thoughts are with you and your family. Sending big hugs your way...

karen said...

How sad! My thoughts are with you, too.

LMP said...

I'm so sorry to hear this news. I hope he's somewhere with a lot of meringue right now.

The Plaid Sheep said...

@KNS: I would guess some of the clouds in heaven are made of meringue. The others whipped cream and for the truly lost, fluff.