Friday, May 05, 2006

Wrong Map

As some of you know I have chosen to walk in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. The walk is 39 miles over 2 days. I took my first training walk today. A short walk, only 5 miles or so. I piled my Goodwill donation into the cart and set out. I had looked at a map to pick a route and found one that seemed nice. It would take me past some park land and into a neighborhood that I hadn't been to before. What I really needed, however, was a topographical map. One street I had chosen is named Fort George Hill. And they weren't kidding. It is a serious hill. In fact, it seemed to go on forever. The hill never really levels off. You get to the apex and then it starts down. The people coming down looked at me with surprise and a bit of pity. Crazy woman, why didn't she go a different way if she had to push a full cart? On the way back, walking down the hill, I could hardly believe I'd made it up. The upshot of all this is that the 5 miles felt more like 8. It's all to the good though. I need to get into better shape. I may go back. Without the cart.

No comments: