Sunday, July 29, 2007

Not Quite the Sistine Chapel

The shower job has turned out to be more complicated than I expected. When I started to take out the old grout the bottom row of tiles came loose as did chunks of backing. Here are the chunks of what is either plaster or some kind of cement that came out from behind the tile. The walls in the apartment are plaster but this was applied on top, presumably to build out the wall. It may also be a thick layer of tile adhesive.

I did not take a picture of the holes at the start but here you can see some of the space left after removal. The extra build out does not extend down the side of the tub. There is just space there. I mixed the plaster extra thick so it would stay in place.

Some of the tile came away without the backing. I think the leak was less at this point so there is not as much water damage.

At this point I will just have to use the tile adhesive.

Here is the first layer of plaster. It is thick enough that it should be applied in two layers.
I tell ya, those cake decorating skills come in handy at a time like this. Not to mention my trusty offset spatula, perfect for small spaces.

After the second layer is in place I will cover it all with a thin layer of adhesive and after that has dried I can stick on the tiles. Then more drying, then grouting then still more drying and curing. So maybe by Friday I can get rid of all the plastic though in this humidity I may play it safe and wait until Sunday to take it down.

It is quite clear that the tiling job was not well done and that at some point in the not too distant future the shower wall will need to be completely re-done. But not just now. My dream would be to re-do the whole bathroom, get rid of the awful pink tile.

1 comment:

Kicking N. Screaming said...

I don't know why, but it makes me warm and happy inside to know that your cake decorating skills and indeed, equipment, aided in this project. I hope to see some plaster roses around the bottom of the finished product.