Monday, February 19, 2007

Got Soap?


I do. It's lavender castile soap. Castile soap is made from olive oil, just olive oil. I used the hot process and if you want the details go here.

For those of you who were wondering, yes, this will be addictive. You can all look forward to some soap in the coming months. Any requests?

I am going to make some using cold process too so I can compare them. I think it will result in a smoother looking soap. The current batch has some funky spots where it still looks gel-like. I can also use the current batch to make some liquid soap and some milled soap. Milled soap is soap that has been grated and then mixed with water and allowed to solidify again. It's a good method if you want to add fragrance or other ingredients that would degrade during the cold or hot process. It will also harden the soap so it lasts longer. It's the endless variety that's so enticing. You want to try all sorts of different oils and scents and shapes. I think that's really why people go into business doing this. Because how much soap can one person use? Or give away? You either have to start selling it or make a soap house. Not very practical unless you live in the desert.

4 comments:

Lady Epiphany said...

Wow. That looks delicious.

The girls love lavender. Pretty much all of Lindsay's product is scented with it. What about Lemon Verbena? Love that. Or rosemary eucalyptus for "Cold remedy" soap?

The Plaid Sheep said...

Those are all excellent suggestions. I will note them down. I also have recipes for melts, which are really solid cream that you rub on your skin. Those might be good with the eucalyptus and maybe a bit of menthol as a more luxurious version of Vicks.

Lady Epiphany said...

Mmm melts. That also sounds yummy.

Orange clove?

LMP said...

I do have a request! Would you be willing to do a little gift collection for our silent auction for the 3-Day? We're doing 2, an online one and a brick & mortar one. I'd love something for either auction!