Thursday, February 01, 2007

As Expected

Two days into hearing cases and we have divided into two groups. I am part of the larger group that understands our role. We decide if a crime was probably committed and if the defendant probably committed it. Period. Then there are those who seem to be unable to make this distinction. They also seem to want to hold the victim responsible. They wonder why it took so long for the victim to realize he was being victimized. They question the competence of his advisers. They want to know when he first realized there was a problem and so on. The bottom line, of course, is that all of that is irrelevant. The victim may be naive and need a keeper but that does not change the fact that the defendant committed the crime. That is the only question. One case in particular made me want to beat my head against the edge of the jury box. The ADA was very nice about it but I suspect she was beginning to feel put upon. It must be very frustrating not to be able to do some yelling about what is and is not relevant. We also have a Geoffrey. Some of you readers know what I mean. I don't think he will be punning but you never know. If you hear I have been arrested you will know what happened.

No comments: