Monday, June 04, 2007

Book Club

A few months ago, in an effort to get myself out of my house and speak to actual people I joined a book club through Meetup.com. It's been an interesting experience. Meetup is a good idea but it has some drawbacks. For example, only about half of the people who RSVP in the affirmative actually show up and most of those that do are late. Not really surprising for those of us used to dealing with people but annoying anyway. The host started the club not just to discuss books but to meet new people. In this she's been frustrated by the odd assortment that have been showing up. One woman in particular is very strange and we're not sure why she comes, she doesn't seem to enjoy herself at all. Another person sent the host an email to tell her that he was leaving the club because he was looking for a more intelligent and worldly group. I'm not sure if he is really looking for a literary criticism society or if he was put off by the fact that most of us disagreed with his views. Part of the problem may be the host. She is perfectly nice but getting a word in edgewise is almost impossible. She tends to go on and speaks faster than anybody else I know. You have to really want to state your opinion. This is not a problem for me (I heard that) but others might find it off-putting. Our next book is Virginia Woolf's "To the Lighthouse". I hope it's a bit more uplifting than the last few books. Anyone want to suggest a book for us?

4 comments:

karen said...

My book group recently read 'The Interpretation of Murder' by Jed Rubenfeld and liked it for all sorts of reasons.

I'm sorry your group is ruled by someone so domineering! One of the things I like best about the group I'm in is how willing they are to discuss views they don't necessarily subscribe to. Also, when we are all of one mind, someone invariably steps up as Devil's advocate. We find the discussion much more scintillating when there's a counterpoint.

Chris said...

Maybe members should take turn choosing or vote on a couple of choices. I love my online bookclub but I don't have one IRL.

LMP said...

God, I miss reading. Does it have to be fiction? I've listened to a lot of non-fiction audibooks lately that I think would make good book club fodder...

The Plaid Sheep said...

We were just saying the other night that we might include non-fiction. I've been reading a lot of it lately including A History of Misogyny and The Cockroach Papers.