Friday, April 20, 2007

New Toy

I got a new printer today! And it is very cute. Not an adjective usually applied to a printer but this one is only 4.5"x6.5"x2" tall. It's a Canon Selphy CP400 photo printer. I have a Xerox color laser printer that is great for text and graphics but only so so for photos. A bonehead mistake I made left me with a store credit to J and R Computer world so I decided to spend it on a photo printer. The Selphy uses dye sublimation thermal transfer. It's a mouthful but it has advantages over inkjet. No nozzles to get clogged or ink cartridges that dry out. Love that. What it does is lay down one color at a time and then an overcoat which keeps the print smudge proof. In theory, the print will last 100 years. Not too bad.

I did a test print and it came out very nice. It's hard to tell in the photo above but it really looks like it was done in a lab, crisp and glossy. Now I just have to remember to take my camera when I go out so I have some great shots to print.

1 comment:

karen said...

Congrats - new tech toys are so much fun!