Monday, February 04, 2008

'Tis the Season

Tomorrow is Super Tuesday, the day 24 states vote in the Primaries. Appropriately, is also Mardi Gras, aka Shrove Tuesday, aka Pancake Tuesday. This day was meant as the last hurrah before the season of Lent. It was also the day when you were supposed to go to confession and be shriven (i.e. receive absolution). All of this seems very much in line with the campaign trail. Get in your last licks against your opponents and beg the constituency for their blessing.

I am technically from a Christian family but we never practiced any faith. Occasionally we'd go to church on Xmas eve for the candlelight service (I liked the singing of carols) but that was about it. And yet, I've always liked the idea of Lent. Not in a self-mortifying, give-something-up-to-do-penance kind of way but in a self-examining kind of way. So this year I'm giving up pessimism for Lent. That's right, I'm going to eschew negative thinking for 40 days. Any dark, pessimistic thoughts will be summarily dismissed. I suspect this will be harder even than giving up chocolate.

No comments: