Sunday, December 16, 2007

Sunday Morning

My most favorite special breakfast is griddle cakes. And I do not mean Bisquick. My father makes great griddle cakes from his mother's recipe. That is the one I use, with a couple of slight alterations. A word of warning though. Once you have had these, you may never be satisfied with restaurant pancakes again.

Griddle Cakes
Yield: About 14 average sized cakes.

1 cup flour
1 cup fine cornmeal
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder (you can also use baking soda if that's all you have)
1 Tbs sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 Tbs butter, melted

Mix the dry ingredients together. Mix the egg into the buttermilk. Add this to the dry mixture stirring as you add. Mix until well blended. Add the melted butter.

Heat a cast iron griddle or skillet until it is very hot. Grease with a bit of butter. Pour out your cakes and let them cook until little bubbles start to form and burst on the surface then flip them over. (I like mine very brown so I wait an extra few seconds before flipping.)

Cook for about 2 minutes and watch them rise.
When you've got your stack, pour on the maple syrup or use honey if you like. Some people like to add butter too but I think that's gilding the lily.

1 comment:

LMP said...

I really must remember to have breakfast BEFORE visiting your blog in the morning.